I was really excited to make this recipe because I love the topping on Chiptole's burrito, which is basically the same as this recipe. The only difference is that their topping has chili sauce--or so I thought. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this recipe; it was pretty easy to make, but there wasn't much flavor. I think chili sauce maybe have been the lacking ingredient, since I only used chili powder. Anyway, here's the unaltered recipe:
4 cups cooked black beans
3 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
3 garlic cloves
1 onion
1 bell pepper
1 ½ tsp cumin
½ tsp crushed oregano
½ tsp chipotle or cayenne (red pepper, chili powder)
1. Heat beans with bay leaves and salt.
2. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper (chopped) to beans. Simmer until veggies are tender.
3. Remove bay leaves. Serve over rice, in a burrito or as soup. Top with diced tomatoes or salsa.
Some changes I made include that I didn't add oregano because I didn't think it would go well with the cumin. Maybe that's just me. I also used chili powder instead of chipotle/ cayenne as I mentioned above. Also, I added the diced tomatoes with the onions, bell peppers, and garlic to cook instead of using them as a topping. Apparently, there are more detailed instructions in the book this recipe is from. Maybe I just missed something in this recipe.
Total time: 45 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment